uucp on SYSV

Larry Lippman larry at kitty.UUCP
Tue Feb 4 02:33:24 AEST 1986

> Our 3B-2 does not want to work with uucp; it gives error messages not
> in the manual: CAN NOT CALL (SYSTEM STATUS) and(RETRY TIME NOT REACHED).
> The entry in the Systems file has Any for the time, so it should not care.

	``CAN NOT CALL (SYSTEM STATUS)'' is generally the result of the calling
device (i.e., ACU, DIR, etc.) being locked (i.e., busy or in possible trouble)
at the time when the call request is is generated by uux.

	``RETRY TIME NOT REACHED'' is generally the result of a uucico failure
on the PREVIOUS call attempt, with the NEW call attempt (as a result of a new
uux request) being BEFORE the next time uudemon.hour runs.  This is a slight
oversimplification, because if eight uucico failures have been tallied, then
uudemon.hour won't try to call the specific site again until after the
uudemon.cleanu runs (generally once per day).  The retry logic is not well
documented, but the above is my observation of its behavior in our 3B2's.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==