/usr/lib/aliases name format

Steve Schlaifer x3171 156/224 steve at jplgodo.UUCP
Tue Jan 14 05:57:53 AEST 1986

> Our SV man page for aliases(4) says that the format is
> name: name_1, name_2, name_3, ...
>
> Most of the entries in our file are absolute uucp path names
> such as nextmch!nextnextmch!lastmch!person.
>
> However, is it okay to put in names such as
> person at lastmch.uucp or person at lastmch.UUCP?

I have successfully done just that and it works fine

> Or does the answer depend on how our sendmail configuration
> file is defined (of which I know zilch about)?
> --
> Dennis Bednar Computer Consoles Inc.  Reston VA       703-648-3300
> {decvax,ihnp4,harpo,allegra}!seismo!rlgvax!dennis     UUCP

A handy way to find out what happens is to try it and then do
        /usr/lib/sendmail -bt
which will then prompt for a "rule number" and a "name" to which you can
respond with
        0 person at lastmch.UUCP
and watch it go through its various contortions and finally print the line it
would use to invoke the mailer to be used.

...smeagol\                     Steve Schlaifer
......wlbr->!jplgodo!steve      Advance Projects Group, Jet Propulsion Labs
....group3/                     4800 Oak Grove Drive, M/S 156/204
                                Pasadena, California, 91109
                                        +1 818 354 3171