Non-Internet domain sockets

Nathaniel Mishkin mishkin at apollo.uucp
Fri Jan 24 05:53:05 AEST 1986

I've been attempting to understand how the Berkeley socket mechanism
is intended to be used with non-Internet domain sockets, but it seems
like the naming issue has not been addressed generally.  The framework
(e.g. the "sockaddr" struct type) is obviously designed to be
domain-independent, but in practice it seems hard to write
domain-independent programs.  For example, the various network programs
(like "telnet") seem to be mightily tied to Internet-style addressing.

My understanding is that 4.3BSD supports XNS -- does this mean that some
of the Internet dependencies have somehow been excised?  If so, how?

                -- Nat Mishkin
                   Apollo Computer Inc.
                   {uw-beaver, wangins, yale}!apollo!mishkin