Can anybody explain this uucp spool directory setup?

Stan Barber sob at neuro1.UUCP
Thu Jan 2 09:49:29 AEST 1986

Your guess are pretty much correct. You are probably confused by
the differece between the X. and C. directories. Let me see if I can
clarify.

I think I have this all straight, but one of the other net-readers
may need to correct me on some of the fine points.

The C. directory contains directives for uucico when it is sending
the files out. It sends the files to the remote system as directed
by the C. directory files.
The files that it sends are stored in the D.systemnameX and D.systemname
directories.

The X. directory is used by uuxqt for incoming execution files. Data files
that uuxqt may need to use are stored in the D. directory.

The TM. directory is where the slave uucico puts files as they come in
from the master. After successfully  receiving a file, uucico will move it
wherever it needs to go. The XTMP directory is used by uuxqt as /tmp
might be used by a regular user.

I believe the Grade feature was unimplemented until recently with the
latest version (4.3 BSD and HonyDanBer) uucp. By using a grading scheme,
the system administrator can regular the order of transmission of files/jobs.
This can allow mail to have a higher priority than news, etc.

P.S. I attempted to reply to you directly, but sigma is not in
the map. Please submit an entry to uucpmap at cbosgd. Thanks.

--
Stan		uucp:{ihnp4!shell,rice}!neuro1!sob     Opinions expressed
Olan		ARPA:sob at rice.arpa		       here are ONLY mine &