rerouting mail after a timeout

Mark Plotnick mp at allegra.UUCP
Wed Jan 15 01:27:55 AEST 1986

All the systems in our lab use a common aliases file, with an entry
for each user in the lab so that all mail for a given user goes to
exactly one machine.

Many users here do most of their work on Suns, using the central vaxes
only for reading mail and netnews.  I've gotten quite a few requests
from some users wondering if it's possible to change their aliases to
route their mail to their Suns (since this would save them the trouble
of having to manually copy saved mail messages from the vaxes to the
Suns) yet be assured that if they turn off their Suns for a long period
of time without telling anyone (e.g. to go on vacation) that their mail
will then be automatically rerouted to a vax rather than being returned
to the sender.  Has anyone enhanced sendmail's timeout mechanism (or
written a separate tool that grovels through the queue files) to do
something like this?

	Mark Plotnick
	allegra!mp