rerouting mail after a timeout

Marshall Rose mrose%NRTC at usc-ecl.arpa
Fri Jan 17 03:52:42 AEST 1986

I not sure how either MMDF-II or SendMail handle this, though my last
recollections are that they don't worry about the problem.  If, after you
examine the question further, this turns out to be the case, you could run
a POP (Post Office Protocol) server on your lab machine.  All mail continues
to get delivered to the lab machine.  When a user on another machine wants
his/her mail, they run a POP client program which retrieves the mail over
the localnet (TCP/IP) and then they can work on it there.  You can even
set things up so that when mail gets posted, it gets posted on the lab
machine via SMTP in such a way that replies go back to the lab machine.
Although both POP and SMTP are fairly well known protocols, I know of only
one user agent that makes substantial use of them: MH, the Rand Message
Handler.  For info on how to get a copy, drop a note to Bug-MH at UCI.EDU.

/mtr