Testing XMODEM programs

Mike Gancarz gancarz at decvax.UUCP
Wed Mar 12 07:36:22 AEST 1986

[ Nothing could be sweeter than to be a mail-line eater... ]

How does one go about testing the various XMODEM programs, such as
"xm", "UMODEM", and "YMODEM"?  Some people have told me that you simply
ask a friendly CP/M user to dial into your system and see if he can do
up/downloads.  There's got to be a better way than that.

For instance, I'm using a VAXStation II/GPX running MIT's 'X' windows under
Ultrix-32.  It seems like it should be possible to set up two terminal
emulator windows that run the XMODEM programs talking back to back to each
other via pseudo tty's.  I've tried various combinations of re-directed
stdin and stdout for the programs, but none gives the desired results.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Mike Gancarz
Ultrix Engineering Group
Merrimack, New Hampshire 03054