Testing XMODEM programs

P. D. Guthrie pdg at ihdev.UUCP
Thu Mar 13 04:46:32 AEST 1986

In article <191 at decvax.UUCP> gancarz at decvax.UUCP (Mike Gancarz) writes:
>[ Nothing could be sweeter than to be a mail-line eater... ]
>
>How does one go about testing the various XMODEM programs, such as
>"xm", "UMODEM", and "YMODEM"?  Some people have told me that you simply
>ask a friendly CP/M user to dial into your system and see if he can do
>up/downloads.  There's got to be a better way than that.
>
>For instance, I'm using a VAXStation II/GPX running MIT's 'X' windows under
>Ultrix-32.  It seems like it should be possible to set up two terminal
>emulator windows that run the XMODEM programs talking back to back to each
>other via pseudo tty's.  I've tried various combinations of re-directed
>stdin and stdout for the programs, but none gives the desired results.
>Does anyone have any ideas?

For more realistic results you might try looping an serial line out from a
port (treated as a modem) and back to the vaxstation, so you would then
be using it more or less just as you would in real life, and can change
all the terminal characteristics (baud rate, handshaking) realistically,
not virtualy.  Of course, then you would be hogging three ports total.
--

Paul Guthrie				`When the going gets weird,
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg				 The weird turn pro'