dz-11 on a VAX-11/750 at 19,200 baud.

gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP gwyn at brl-smoke.UUCP
Sat Mar 8 04:49:37 AEST 1986

In article <1577 at brl-smoke.ARPA> Jeff Siegal <JBS%DEEP-THOUGHT at mit-eddie.arpa> writes:
>The terminal works great except when sending more that about
>two pages without a pause--at that rate, the terminal can't quite
>keep up and loses a little data.
>
>The lost data is not really my problem though.  What I'm worried about
>is that on the console, the system spits out occasional "dz0,4: silo
>overflow."  Does anyone know what is wrong, and if so, what I can do
>to fix it?

The first paragraph makes it apparent that you have not enabled DC3/DC1
flow control.  As you overrun the terminal's buffer, it will keep
sending DC3s to the host to try to get it to stall.  These are probably
filling up the DZ11 silo faster than the host is able to empty it.  If
the DZ11 device driver relies on input silo alarm rather than per-
character interrupt with short-circuit lookahead before RTI, then there
is not much safety margin.

If you enable flow control, the problem should go away.