C++ installation

Jonathan P. Leech jon at csvax.caltech.edu
Thu Mar 13 17:51:02 AEST 1986

    Help! We just got the updated version of C++ (Release 1.0) and I'm
having lots of trouble installing  it.	Release  E  went  in  with  no
trouble on VAX/4.2 BSD but broke the Sun 1.0 C compiler. I'm trying to
install Release  1  on	several  Unix  variants  and  they  each  have
different problems:

    Amdahl UTS (System V)

	The installation guide says to just 'make  scratch';  however,
    the   order   of   members	 in   a   FILE	 is   different    for
    /usr/include/stdio.h  and  the  supplied  stdio.h  for  C++.   The
    documentation claims this should only be true for non  System  Vs.
    Is it sufficient to change the C++ header?

    Sun 2.0 (BSD derived)

	So far all the shell scripts break since they  either  do  not
    include #!/bin/sh or do not put it as the first line of the  file.
    After correcting this, C++ boostraps from the supplied  C  source,
    but the shell script CC does not work (complains about  'test  -a'
    buried somewhere in the file).

    I also need to install  C++  on  VAX/4.2  BSD  and	(later)  HP/UX
(supposedly System V) for HP Series 300 workstations. Has  ANYONE  had
success installing the new C++ on a non-AT&T machine?  If  so,	please
let me know what you had to do.

    Thanks,
    Jon Leech (jon at csvax.caltech.edu)
    __@/