C++ installation

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Sun Mar 23 02:28:02 AEST 1986

In article <1762 at brl-smoke.ARPA> jon at csvax.caltech.edu (Jonathan P. Leech) writes:
>    the   order   of   members	 in   a   FILE	 is   different    for
>    /usr/include/stdio.h  and  the  supplied  stdio.h  for  C++.   The
>    documentation claims this should only be true for non  System  Vs.
>    Is it sufficient to change the C++ header?

I've never used C++; but nobody else has responded, and I figured I'd
take on at least this.

If and only if C++ source files always compile with their very own
set of include files  a n d  libc.a, then you must leave the stdio.h
file as it is.  The FILE is only an in-core representation, and
doesn't correspond to anything in the external environment.  However,
as I understand it, C++ is only a pre-processor, and relies on cc to
do the rest of its work.  In that case (and assuming you're not talking
about just compiling c++ itself), you must use the FILE structure that
is compiled into libc.a; i.e., the one in <stdio.h>.  If you have to
mix a C++ library (that uses FILE's) and your native C library ...
you're out of luck.

I suspect you may have known this; I post this just in case you didn't,
and to  prime the pump.  You may get better response by re-posting to
net.c++.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy at seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}