Make - What is Efl?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sun Mar 23 10:30:17 AEST 1986

In article <121 at graffiti.UUCP> bruce at graffiti.UUCP (Bruce Jilek) writes:
>In _Make - A Program for Maintaining Computer Programs_ by S.I. Feldman
>(Unix Programmer's Manual 7th ed., vol. 2), a program suffix '.e' is
>described.  It means that the source is an Efl source file.
>
>What is 'Efl'.

Funny; I thought EFL was also described in the same manual.
EFL is Feldman's Extended Fortran Language, which is somewhat
like RatFor except that it supports data structures and has
to interface with the second-pass code generator instead of
acting as just a preprocessor.

EFL is still distributed with UNIX System V, but some porters
are not porting it, for unknown reasons.  I doubt that it has
many users outside Bell Labs, and perhaps not many even there.