as error messages

eric at umbc3.UMD.EDU eric at umbc3.UMD.EDU
Sun May 11 06:04:18 AEST 1986

I'm having a rather annoying problem with the vax assembler (as) on our
785 running Ultrix T1.2-2.  I suspect that it may be a hold over from
older versions of the BSD4.2 assembler, so hopefully someone out there
will already have a fix for it.

The problem is in the reporting of error messages:  it refuses to give the
name of the file being assembled, although the error routine obviously is
set up to do this.  It always generates messages of the form:

"", line 10: blah blah...

which causes great problems to emacs's error parsing routines!  (GNUemacs
starts up a dired on the parent directory...)

I'm running my source through cpp first, and it's correctly generating
lines in the .s file that look like

# 2 "ferd.s"

and as picks up the line number correctly, but ignores the filename.
I added .file "ferd.s" directives, but it ignored them too.  I took all of
the preprocesser # lines out of the .s, and all of the .files, and ran
as directly on it, and it failed to pick the filename off of the command
line.  I've checked the source and found a variable (char *dotsname) which
is supposed to hold the current input file name, and all of the code with
that seems to be in order.

Anybody seen this before???   What's going on here???
Please mail responses (preferably via arpa, I'm not entirely sure about
my usenet address yet but I think it's {trunksites...}!umcp-cs!umbc3!eric)
--

				-eric

#include <standard/disclamer.h>
#define SILLY_QUOTE	We can neutralize your brain, you feel just fine, now.
#define ARPA_ADDRESS	eric at umbc3 [.umd.edu | .arpa]