Real Time UN*X

Daniel R. Levy levy at ttrdc.UUCP
Sun May 11 09:02:09 AEST 1986

In article <288 at necis.UUCP>, geo at necis.UUCP (George Aguiar ext. 224) writes:
>I'm looking for some general information regarding fast file systems ( using
>contiguous or consecutive sectors on a hard disk ) and modifications to the
>kernel that allow a process to change it's priority level.

Dunno 'bout fast file systems, but I agree it sure would be nice (pun intended)
if a non-setuid process had a way to modulate its priority (both upward and
downward) within the constraint of what it was granted at invocation.
(Setuid root processes can nice() themselves up and down at will, but I presume
the emphasis is on user code?  Or maybe it is acceptable to be setuid root
in a dedicated applications environment [not a general purpose user environ-
ment]?)
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
						vax135}!ttrdc!levy