RFS, SYMBOLICS LM's, VAXEN

Jim Reid jim at cs.strath.ac.uk
Thu May 22 21:55:07 AEST 1986

In article <1017 at inset.UUCP> bill at inset.UUCP (Bill Fraser-Campbell) writes:
>As regards SUN competitors, several of those already have the source and
>several have completed ports (Gould, DEC, DG, Alliant, Celerity, Pyramid).
>SUN have decided that it is better to promote NFS than not.  There is a
>user group for implementors.

The competitors I had in mind were companies like Silicon Graphics, Masscomp
and perhaps Whitechapel. The big boys you mention have NFS, but they're not
really competing with SUN in the workstation market; rather, they're mainly
selling boxes for you to hang your SUN workstation off. To clarify my earlier
statement, it wouldn't make commercial sense for SUN to make NFS available
to companies that already make workstations that are either cheaper or faster
than the SUN equivalent. Why help your rivals improve their product with
something you have invested money and effort developing?

		Jim