RFS, SYMBOLICS LM's, VAXEN

Campbell bill at inset.UUCP
Thu May 22 03:34:14 AEST 1986

In article <135 at stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim at cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
>SUN's NFS source code is available to academic institutions for 1000 dollars/
>sterling pounds. Contact Steve Isaac at SUN, Mountain View, California for
>details. I don't think SUN will part with it to commercial organisations who
>might just make a faster, cheaper NFS box...

Yes, SUN will hand out NFS source to commercial organisations.  Naturally,
this is at a commercial price.  The release is based on 4.2BSD for VAX,
and is available from SUN and several other organisations.

As regards SUN competitors, several of those already have the source and
several have completed ports (Gould, DEC, DG, Alliant, Celerity, Pyramid).
SUN have decided that it is better to promote NFS than not.  There is a
user group for implementors.

Bill Fraser-Campbell      bill at inset.co.uk
                          ...<england>!ucl-cs!inset!bill