RFS, SYMBOLICS LM's, VAXEN

Larry Linde linde at srcsip.UUCP
Thu May 8 17:53:26 AEST 1986

Is anyone out there running with a site that has both VAXen
and symbolics lisp machines (3600,3640,3670) on the same network?
If so what protocol are you using TCP/IP, CHAOS, DECNET? We are
planning on going to BSD 4.3 as soon as we can get it. And the
latest we have heard from symbolics is that they do not have a
version of chaosnet for BSD 4.3. SOOOO? (NO WAY DO I WANT TO RUN DECNET)
And as I understand it they use FTP to do the file sharing under TCP/IP?
This must be very slow. Has anyone written a version of the RFS code for
a symbolics LM? If so could I get a copy of it?

Second, Has anyone taken the UID/GID translation out of RFS either totally
and then require some host validation, or Partially for validated hosts?
What we are thinking of doing (working on) is to take it out and write
somthing like suns YP stuff that would provide unique UID/GID across the
local net. So we have no need to translate. has anyone done this? If so
same request can i get the code? If not we are writeing it and when finished
I will post it to net.sources. Also is anyone running RFS under ULTRIX v1.0
We are trying to and it works ok most of the time but than crashes every
once in a while. (Actually the MV crashes its not always RFS doing it)
Has anyone had simular problems? With the MVII or RFS under ULTRIX?
Right now we only have the server code on the MV. Working on getting the
paperwork sighed off to get the SOURCE lic from DEC so we can bring up the
rest. Ugg lawyers are sooooooooooo SLOWWWWWW they must read the contracts
over about 2^48 times before even thinking of signing them.

Also anyone know the performance tradoffs between RFS (todds version)
and NFS? how much do they differ in speed? Anyone have any Speed improvments
for RFS? Anyone Running BOTH on the same NET or computer? Anyone using RFS
to use a vax as somthing like a minimal diskless host? IE: only the system
local, no users files. How does it perform?

One final question. Is SUN thinking about releasing NFS source like RPC
and XDR? I would really like to have just one Remote file system. At least
until AT*T gets moving and releases V2.3. Whats it now NOVEMBER?

Oh well enough wandering. Final thought When will BSD4.3 be out?

OK just one more question. Does anyone know of a version of BSD4.2 for
a 68020 VME computer that can be bought somewhere. We are building a
VME computer (Special purpose for Image process type stuff) and would
very much like to run BSD4.2 on it and not SV5.1 or some such ugly
variant. We would want to by a source lic for it. (The source
lic from AT*T is no prob we can get that easy) I know SUN is a VME system
but we do not want a SUN, (not that i would not want one) It just does not
fit this application. Does sun sell there SW ONLY?
--
UUCP:     ihnp4\	    	    |	  Larry Linde MN65-2300
	philabs !srcsip!linde       |   Signal and Image Processing
				    |    3660 Technology Drive MPLS
ARPA:	Linde at HI-MULTICS	    |	 MN ,55413 (612) 572-7589