UNIX domain sockets ?

Mitchell Lerner lerner at isi-vaxa.arpa
Wed May 7 05:02:36 AEST 1986

>Does anyone have any information or experience regarding the general
>health of stream-mode, unix-domain sockets under Release 3.0 of SUN
>UNIX?  We are helping some folks port an application from a BSD 4.2
>VAX 750 to our SUN-3/160.  The application appears to run fine on the
>750, but on the SUN, the processes seem to have problems trying to
>rendevous at each others sockets.  Occasionally everyone comes up
>and all appears to run fine, but usually the rendevous fails.

Well, sombody correct me if i am wrong, but, when 4.2 first was released
Unix domain sockets were flakey, much in the way that you describe above.
I was told that Dr. Bill Joy himself said, somthing to the effect: "Unix
domain sockets were just not a good Idea." and " Dont use Unix domain because
It doesnt work.".

Even for Intrahost (same host) IPC I've used the Internet domain and had
no problem.  The kernal can tell that the connection is not remote and
doesnt send the data out the e.c/LAN (incurring overhead).

I'm not shure that this is what you wanted to know but ... for what it's
worth ...