Ultrix backups on VMS machine?

David Schmidt davids at iscuva.UUCP
Mon May 5 17:10:32 AEST 1986

  We have 3 MicroVAX II's running Ultrix 1.1 connected via ethernet
(running DECnet/Ultrix) to a VAX 11/785 running VMS 4.2.  When we
bought the systems DEC said we could perform backups for the MV II's
on the VMS machine.  So far nobody has come up with an acceptable
method of doing this.
  We've thought of piping output from DUMP to DCP and writting to
the VMS tape drive but DCP doesn't accept pipes!  The TK50 drives
on the MicroVAX II are too slow and we have the MV II's spread
around the building (we are considering moving them to the VAX room
and using terminal servers but this happened yet).
  Any advise would be appreciated!  We would like to have the backups
run from the VMS machine if possible without needing the operator to
log into the Ultrix machines.
  I would have posted to mod.computers.vax also but we do not have
a current moderator's file yet (one is on the way from our feed).
  Thank-you!

! II      CCCCCC !  David Schmidt
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC Systems Corp.
! II      CC     !  Spokane, WA
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: ihnp4!tektronix!reed!iscuva!davids
! II      CCCCCC !  (509)927-5479