Maximum backlog on "listen" calls

Eric Bergan eric at osiris.UUCP
Tue May 13 23:05:03 AEST 1986

	We are developing a system that will be primarily dedicated to
servers for the network. Currently, the "listen" call limits the
size of the backlog queue to 5. This is done by a #define of SOMAXCONN.
I would be interested in knowing the relative pros and cons of increasing
SOMAXCONN, since this occasionally causes one of our clients to fail
to connect. In looking at the code, the only place SOMAXCONN is used is
in a "min" statement with the "backlog" parameter. Does anyone know
why 5 was chosen? Will we consume massive memory, or destroy our
network throughput if we reset it to, say 16?

--

					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplcen!osiris!eric