UNIX domain sockets ?

brett at wjvax.UUCP brett at wjvax.UUCP
Tue May 20 02:18:49 AEST 1986

In article <6928 at mordor.ARPA> jdb at mordor.UUCP (John Bruner) writes:
>Aside from issues of speed, UNIX domain sockets provide a capability ...
>to pass file descriptors between processes using UNIX domain datagrams.

I am curious -- how?  In addition, I have a general question.  It looks to
me like the name to which a UNIX domain socket may be bound is limited to
13 or fewer characters (at least in our implementation - VAX 750, Mt Xinu
4.2 BSD) in the struct sockaddr structure.  UNIX domain socket names
are located in the filesystem, and this 13 character name length limit
seems severely to restrict where in the filesystem a socket name may reside.
How do other people manage this restriction?  Is there such a restriction?  If
so, where do people typically put socket names -- in /etc?

Please respond by E-Mail; I will summarize.  Thanks (in advance)