Location of partition table on disk

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Mon Nov 3 07:00:38 AEST 1986

In article <1073 at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> mangler at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu
(System Mangler) writes:
>Putting the partition info in the inode is a great idea (no limit
>on the number of partitions) but the bootstrapping problems are real.
>Looks like we need a "partitions" block, someplace that won't get
>overwritten.  So where?  What sector number does Ultrix use?

Ultrix uses the last sector in the first superblock, or in other
words sector 31.  This turns out to be bad for a number of reasons;
the consensus for 4.4 appears to be to use block 0, and just hope
that no one ever needs more than $k$ bytes of boot code ($k$ is
currently 64, which seems rather small to me).
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu