Location of partition table on disk

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Mon Nov 10 15:09:57 AEST 1986

In article <131 at houligan.UUCP> someone---we never received the
original article, so I cannot say who---wrote:
>a volume or set number, for implementing multivolume file systems (for
>instance, Chris Torek's striping setup).

Just to set the record straight, I have no striping setup.  I mentioned
one as a merit of a particular implementation (inode-based partitions)
simply because it seemed to fit well with that implementation.

(It seems to me that striping should be done either at the file
system level or between file systems and device drivers; in either
case, per-pack data seems not the proper place for striping
information.  [That it may *interact* with such information is
another matter.]  Putting striping data in the inode precludes
striping the root file system, but given the importance of that
file system, and the increased chance for chaos with multiplied
mechanics, that seems not unreasonable.)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu