ld and the -A option, manual excerpt

P. Allen Jensen allen at gitpyr.gatech.EDU
Wed Oct 29 06:26:55 AEST 1986

The following is a description of the -A option to ld.  Can anyone
give me any documentation on how to make use of a file generated
using the -A option (eg for dynamic loading or overlay loading) ?

| NAME
|      ld	- link editor
|
| SYNOPSIS
|      ld	[ -ADdeLMNnorSsTtuVXxyz ] ... file ...
|
|      ld	... file ...  [	-lx ]
|
|      -A	  This option specifies	incremental loading, i.e.  link-
| 	  ing is to be done in a manner	so that	the resulting
| 	  object may be	read into an already executing program.
| 	  The next argument is the name	of a file whose	symbol
| 	  table	will be	taken as a basis on which to define addi-
| 	  tional symbols.  Only	newly linked material will be
| 	  entered into the text	and data portions of a.out, but
| 	  the new symbol table will reflect every symbol defined
| 	  before and after the incremental load.  This argument
| 	  must appear before any other object file in the argu-
| 	  ment list.  The -T option may	be used	as well, and will
| 	  be taken to mean that	the newly linked segment will
| 	  commence at the corresponding	address	(which must be a
| 	  multiple of 2048).  The default value	is the old value
| 	  of _end.

(above is from manual page for PYRAMID OSX)
--
P. Allen Jensen
Manager, Systems Division - GTICES Systems Laboratory