NS32032 and UNIX

Paul Vixie Esq paul at vixie.UUCP
Wed Oct 29 11:58:22 AEST 1986

In article <4936 at brl-smoke.ARPA> rbj at ICST-CMR.arpa (Root Boy Jim) writes:
>>	I am looking for any information about any systems that run UNIX(tm)
>>	on a National Semiconductor NS32032 processor.
>
>I believe National itself has something called Genix, but I have heard it
>has problems.

Yes, GENIX has many problems.  Mostly because it was/is based on 4.1BSD, even
though 4.2 was available before GENIX was.  At this point, I believe National
is working very hard on SVID compliance, which is just about the worst thing
they could do (in my fanatical opinion--please disagree by mail if you must).

Symmetric Computer Systems in San Jose makes a 32016 box that works quite
well.  I own one.  Symmetric has brought most of 4.2 and parts of 4.3 into
the operating system (Symmetrix), which was originally based on GENIX.

Sequent's machine is a very fast multiprocessor, but is expensive.  The
Symmetric 375 I'm typing this on weighs 25 pounds, is 14in X 6in X 12in,
has a 96Mb/28ms drive, an 800K floppy, four ports, 2MB ram, a 10MHz 32016,
optional SCSI and ethernet, and sold for about $6300.  Cheaper models are
available with smaller/slower hard drives.
--
Paul A. Vixie       arpa: paul at vixie.UUCP, nike!ptsfa!vixie!paul at seismo.CSS.GOV
San Mateo, Calif    uucp: {ptsfa,qantel,fortune,crash,winfree}!vixie!paul