Seeking a Development Environment (Sun?)

Rick Adams rick at seismo.CSS.GOV
Fri Oct 24 04:00:07 AEST 1986

A major failing as far as I am concerned is that since the Apollo is
a layered/emulation/whatever instead of a "true" Unix, the
system administration commands are that of the Apollo OS, not Unix.
Eunice has this problem as well.

I don't have time to teach the operators different procedures for
different machines. "dump" should do the same basic thing on all machines.

So, you DO have a visible difference. If the difference is invisible,
(i.e. you have a program called dump that interfaces to whatever
Aegis uses) it doesn't really matter whats underneath. Just because the
library calls are basically there doesn't make it a complete emulation.

(Yes, I think system 5 backup procedures are brain dead. Guess what
else we're not considering buying because the system administration is
"different". Try doing 10 gigabytes of disk with cpio and volcopy. Then
try it with "dump".)

---rick