Seeking a Development Environment (Sun?)

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Sat Oct 25 04:25:10 AEST 1986

> (Yes, I think system 5 backup procedures are brain dead. Guess what
> else we're not considering buying because the system administration is
> "different". Try doing 10 gigabytes of disk with cpio and volcopy. Then
> try it with "dump".)

What's especially obnoxious about this is that there *does* exist a dump
program that works much like the 4.2 "dump" and that can be made to work on
S5 - namely, the 4.1 "dump".  The main thing you'd have to do is teach it to
support both 512-byte and 1024-byte file systems.  To get something like the
4.2 "restore", you could start with the 4.1 "restor" (it's better than the
S3 one, because it maintains the "s_tfree" and "s_tinode" fields, which the
S3 one does not), possibly fold some S3isms into it (I did this a long time
ago, and I don't remember what you have to do any more), and then fold all
the nice "restore by name", "restore a directory subtree", etc. features
from the 4.2 "restore" into it.  Anybody at AT&T-IS willing to torque off
their management by doing this?
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)