unix system enhancements

Root Boy Jim rbj at ICST-CMR.arpa
Tue Oct 7 08:01:26 AEST 1986

> I am interested in enhancing my UNIX system to support the following, but
> beofre I start to work I would like to know if anyone has already done
> something similar:
>
> 	1.  Modify CSH so that it checks for the existence of a system wide
> 	.cshrc and .login (obviously they could have different names) before
> 	reading the users .cshrc and .login.  This would allow the system
> 	manager (me) to create a standard environment without having to write
> 	each user a .login and .cshrc and still allow the user to modify his
> 	or her environment if they choose.

This should be easy enuf and I have no quarrel if done. One thing to watch
out for: .cshrc is always executed when csh starts, while .login is only
executed at login time. Do you want to implement both a pre-.cshrc and
a pre-.login? If so, what will the sourcing order be? Would it be possible
for the user's .cshrc to screw up the system version of .login?

> 	2.  Modify /etc/login so that it checks a file to determine if
> 	the user is allowed to login over that line or network connection
> 	or dial-up port at that time of the day.

Given the first modification, why bother. Just have the system startup
file run an authorization program. If this guy is uncool, kill the
parent csh.

Before liberally proposing modifications to programs, one should think
of other ways to achieve the same effect.

> 	3.  And lastly modify the tty driver to support "advising."  This would
> 	allow root to watch the characters sent to a terminal and have the
> 	characters that he types inserted into that port's input characte
> 	stream.

Nontrivial.

> 	Thanks,
> 		geoff

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell		<rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
Hmmm... a PINHEAD, during an EARTHQUAKE, encounters an ALL-MIDGET FIDDLE
ORCHESTRA...ha..ha..