VI(1) vs. the world

Marc W. Mengel mwm at cuuxb.UUCP
Thu Oct 9 04:42:20 AEST 1986

In article <113 at twg-ap.UUCP> narayan at twg-ap.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) writes:

>> What's more, vi completely lacks the following features I find
>> indispensable:
>>
>>     -	multiple buffers and windows
>>     -	query replace
>>     -	keyboard macros
>>     -	online help (":!man vi" doesn't count)
>>
>> Larry Campbell                             The Boston Software Works, Inc.
>
>How about :g/old-string/s//new-string/gc for conditional replace. Or is
>query replace something different.

Not to mention the ":map" and ":map!" commands for keyboard macro's. (It
seems to me you could mimic emacs fairly well by immediately going into
insert mode, and using a good sprinkling of map! commands in your .exrc...)

And one volley for the other side: I really like to be able to say "15j" to
go down 15 lines, and "40a -<ESC>" to be able to make an 80 column dashed line.
Does Emacs, (or any other editor, for that matter) provide this repeat n times
facility? (this is not a rhetorical question, I don't know...)

P.S. A Challenge to those Other Editor users, I can write a vi macro to
	reverse the words on a line... can you?
--
 Marc Mengel
 ...!ihnp4!cuuxb!mwm