VI(1) vs. the world

Larry Campbell campbell at maynard.UUCP
Tue Oct 7 22:57:55 AEST 1986

In article <113 at twg-ap.UUCP> narayan at twg-ap.UUCP (Narayan Mohanram) writes:

>How about :g/old-string/s//new-string/gc for conditional replace. Or is
>query replace something different.

Well, you're partly right and I'm partly wrong.  My V7 documentation is
notoriously skimpy on ex commands.  The stuff you mention is a
*subset* of query replace -- you get two choices, replace or skip.  In
EMACS, you get to choose (1) replace, (2) skip, (3) replace this and
all subsequent occurrences without asking, (4) get out of this command
entirely, (5) enter a recursive edit level (with a mode line
indication!), allowing you to edit to your heart's content -- "exiting"
the editor resumes the query replace where you left off.

And as far as I know, vi still doesn't have mutliple buffers and windows...
--
Larry Campbell            MCI: LCAMPBELL   The Boston Software Works, Inc.
ARPA: campbell%maynard.uucp at harvard.ARPA   120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109