plain 8-bit output

Steve Campbell steve at dartvax.UUCP
Fri Oct 3 12:07:37 AEST 1986

Background:  4.[23] bsd, VT220 terminals, a database of foreign language
	text containing 8-bit characters (diacritical marks, European
	quotes, etc.)

The goal: to be able to output these 8-bit characters *without losing any
	standard Unix tty functions.*  RAW negates flow-control.  RAW and
	LITOUT change the handling of CR and/or LF.  4.3BSD has a new
	PASS8 tty(4) option, but it says it only applies to input (grrr).
	What I want is plain old cooked mode BUT with an 8-bit data path.

The question: how?  Must I hack the tty drivers and sys/tty*?  Ugh.
--
Steve Campbell               steve at Dartmouth.EDU                dartvax!steve