Panic: sys pt too small

Russ Smith smith at NRL-AIC.arpa
Wed Oct 22 00:46:55 AEST 1986

We recently installed a couple memory controllers in our VAX 780
running fairly vanilla 4.2BSD. In so doing, we put 16 Megabytes on one
controller, 8 on the other (this is a valid configuration and not the
cause of the following problem). On booting UNIX, the machine gives us:

		.
		.
		.
	real mem  = 25161728
	panic: sys pt too small

and crashes back to the boot level. This panic message originates in the
.../sys/machine/machdep.c file right after a check of the form:

	if (((int)(ecmap+1))&~0x80000000) > SYSPTSIZE*NBPG)

Question: Has anyone run into and fixed this problem? I won't go into
the interesting comments that are above the "define" of SYSPTSIZE in
the same directory's vmparam.h...

We'd really like to be able to use all 24 Megs...any help would be MUCH
appreciated.

Russ <Smith at nrl-aic>
JAYCOR
Navy Center for Applied Research in Artificial Intelligence (whew!)