ATT 3b2 firmware password

Ron Heiby heiby at cuae2.UUCP
Thu Oct 2 02:13:33 AEST 1986

In article <2445 at phri.UUCP> roy at phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>	I've never used a 3b2, so I'm taking Richard's word for it that the
>only way to power-down the machine is via a software command.  I'm sorry,
>but if this is really true, then that machine has some serious brain-damage
>to it.  Hell, my Vax has software shutdown, but when the system die{ it's
>nice to know I can still hit that reset button or turn the key-switch to
>"off".  Comes in handy when smoke starts to curl out of the disk drive too.

The impression that the *only* way to shut down a 3B2 is via software is
incorrect.  It's just that that is the only *recommended* method, if you
care about the data on your disks.  There is a reset button on the 3B2,
which puts the machine in firmware mode about as fast as you can read
this sentance out loud.  From firmware mode, the power switch shuts off
the power real fast, since it's too late to try to rescue your buffer cache.
If you suspect that your machine may be on fire, the power cord is your
best bet.  It has the advantage of being real quick.  Oh yes, don't forget
that the power cord is also useful if you think that your 3B2 is about to
attack you physically.  :-)  (allusion to umpteen horror flicks)

Remember, if you just want to shut the system off and aren't in a hurry
(because of a tornado or something), let the system operate as intended.
It'll save you grief with your filesystem when you come back up and give
any current users fair warning to leave their edit sessions, etc.
--
Ron Heiby heiby at cuae2.ATT.COM   Moderator: mod.newprod & mod.os.unix
AT&T-IS, /app/eng, Lisle, IL	(312) 810-6109