ATT 3b2 firmware password

carroll at snail.CS.UIUC.EDU carroll at snail.CS.UIUC.EDU
Thu Oct 2 05:12:00 AEST 1986

	I just thought I'd clarify the question of what type of powerdowns
are available on the 3B2:

Powering down a 3B2 can be done in a number of different ways, from the slow
but generally safe to the quick and generally fatal. You can software shutdown,
which is slow, or use a -g option to start NOW (which puts the users at risk),
or hit the STANDBY switch, which starts the power down, or press RESET and
hit the STANDBY, which turns it off VERY quickly, or yank the power cord (which
is pretty much guaranteed to trash the file system). I have experienced 3B2's
in a state where we had to pull the cord; i.e. nothing else worked. (The system
hung, no terminal would respond, STANDBY and RESET/STANDBY had no effect after
a couple dozen tries, etc.). We had one today that got floppy errors, and a
software powerdown didn't have ANY effect (after the "system is down" message
showed up, the disk light was still on, the power LED was still flashing, and
we still got "Floppy Access Error" on the console every 30 seconds or so).
This is the point at which the power is supposed to be OFF.