tty input and output at different speeds?

David Sherman dave at lsuc.UUCP
Wed Oct 1 10:19:07 AEST 1986

Does anyone have experience with setting up terminal I/O at
different speeds under UNIX?  We're running v7 ("Edition VII")
on a Perkin-Elmer 3220. The machine can output genuine 19200,
but loses characters when processing input on a tty line at
faster than 1200. This means that function keys on a VT-100
compatible (which transmit a multi-char sequence beginning
with ESC) sometimes aren't properly received. Since no-one
actually types faster than 1200 baud, I'd like to set up our
local terminals with 1200 in and 19200 out.

Obviously I'd have to hack stty(1) and getty to grok split speeds.
Are there any other gotchas I should be aware of? Do any of the
commonly-available applications programs which do gtty/stty(2)
or ioctl make assumptions about input and output being at the
same speed?

David Sherman
Computer Education Facility
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Osgoode Hall
Toronto, Canada  M5H 2N6
dave at lsuc.UUCP
(416) 947-3466
--
{ ihnp4!utzoo  seismo!mnetor  utai  hcr  decvax!utcsri  } !lsuc!dave