restore dies standalone

Kevin Sullivan kjs%tufts.csnet at RELAY.CS.NET
Sat Oct 25 13:10:44 AEST 1986

Sound sad?  It is.  Here's the scenario:  vax11/780,  4.2BSD,  ra81.  The
problem:  I wanted to change partition size on ra81,  so I dumped all the
file systems to tape,  newfs'ed,  and restored.  Here's the sad part:  restore
dies on the third reel of my users' file system (memory fault,  core dumped).
On the fourth try the restore succeeded,  but I am going to have to try this
again soon.  DEC FS says nothing is wrong with the hardware.  Anyone have a
different opinion?  Does anyone know of problems doing restores single user
from tu78 to ra81 under 4.2 on a 780?  Could there be a speed problem on the
bus,  at the ra81?

Thanks a lot for letting me know what you know.

Kevin Sullivan
Tufts University
kjs%tufts at csnet-relay

please respond to me directly,  thanks.