NFS on System V

Brett Galloway brett at wjvax.UUCP
Sat Oct 25 07:39:08 AEST 1986

In article <292 at stracs.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim at cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
>OK - I didn't make myself too clear in the original posting. The chronology
>is evident to anyone who looks as Guy said. However, I'm sure someone like Bill
>Joy had a network file system in mind when the design of the 4.2 filesystem
>was being thrashed out. We can all see when the two products were first
>shipped, but which design was outlined first? [There must have been some
>element of "if I have this system call, it'll make that network file system
>operation easier to do". (Note, I'm distingishing a "network file system"
>from NFS.)]
> [more about NFS "slotting into" 4.2BSD
>True, but I'd suggest that the initial design of both (whether consciously
>or not) went on in parallel. There are too many similarities for this to be
>just a happy coincidence.

In fact, in the document, "A Fast File System for UNIX", by M. McKusick,
W. (Bill) Joy, S. Leffler, and R. Fabry, section 5.3 (symbolic links) says

	In future Berkeley software distributions it will be possible to
	mount file systems from other machines within a local file
	system.  When this occurs, it will be possible to create
	symbolic links that span machines.