NFS on System V

Guy Harris guy at sun.uucp
Sun Oct 26 19:21:00 AEST 1986

> In fact, in the document, "A Fast File System for UNIX", by M. McKusick,
> W. (Bill) Joy, S. Leffler, and R. Fabry, section 5.3 (symbolic links) says
>
> 	In future Berkeley software distributions it will be possible to
> 	mount file systems from other machines within a local file
> 	system.  When this occurs, it will be possible to create
> 	symbolic links that span machines.

Unfortunately for these Ancient Astronauts-style theories about the 4.2BSD
file system and NFS, the future networked file system being referred to
there was NOT NFS.  First of all, I don't think a real design existed; it
was a wishlist item than a real future idea.  Second of all, what ideas did
exist may have latter appeared in NFS, but not without much change later.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy at sun.com (or guy at sun.arpa)