Ultrix remote dumps, etc

Ollie Jones 617-480-6651 DTN296 jones at 3d.dec.com
Thu Sep 25 23:14:58 AEST 1986

<decwrl!amdcad!amdimage!prls!philabs!nbc1!abs> asked
>We have a pair of Ultrix 1.2 systems, one on a MicroVAX II,
>and one on a 750.  These systems are connected by an
>Ethernet.  I'd love to use the 9-track drive on the 750 to
>directly record dumps made on the MicroVAX, or have program
>output on the MicroVAX be written directly to disk on the
>750.  Is this possible using Ethernet?  If so, then how?

Dumps:  see rdump(8) and rrestore(8).  I've been using them for
        a long time now and they work nicely.
Program output:  Not possible transparently, as far as I know.
---
<decwrl!amdcad!amdimage!prls!philabs!cmcl2!rna!dan> asks:
>	Has anyone used the System V-style shared memory facility in
>Ultrix-32m (Microvax II) ...
>For example, what role does "key"
>play ? How do I pass the shared memory segment to non-related process ?

Yes.   Works nicely.  See ipcs(1) and the transitive closure of its
SEE ALSO sections.  Also look at ftok(3c) to discover the mysteries of
the 'key'.

--
Ollie Jones			DEC High Performance Workstations
jones at 3d.dec			617-480-6651