ATT 3b2 firmware password

Richard Kuhns rjk at mrstve.UUCP
Mon Sep 29 10:19:40 AEST 1986

In article <305 at pinney.munsell.UUCP> pac at munsell.UUCP (Paul Czarnecki) writes:
>I have some friends with an ATT 3b2 that has a firmware password in it.
>They'ld like to rebuild thier kernal but they can't because a previous
>and long gone engineer changed this firmware password.
>
>The documentation seems lacking (for obvious reasons) about how to
>defeat this protection scheme.
>
>(I knew it wasn't a computer when one day, frustrated beyond belief at
>it, I reached around and powered the beast off.  On my screen flashes
>the words, "System shutdown in 5 minutes." I sprinkled some holy water,
>drew a pentagram around it, and cut the main power switch to the
>building.:-)
>
>If anyone knows how to do this please send me mail.  PLEASE DO NOT POST
>SUCH AN OBVIOUS SECURITY HOLE NOR WILL I SUMMERIZE TO THE NET.
>
>Thank you.
>
>--
>  Paul Czarnecki		USENET, too much is never enough.
>  Eikonix, Corp.
>  Bedford, MA			{adelie,encore,infinet}!munsell!pz

I feel like I have to post a reply to this (I am an extremely satisfied
3b2 user/programmer/administrator).

First, RTFM!  The System Administration Utilities Guide explains quite
clearly how to change the Firmware password -- just boot the `Floppy
Key'.  This will reset the firmware password to the default.

Second, RTFM!  Once again, the System Administration Utilites Guide
explains how to start an `Express Powerdown'.  If you "reached around
to power the beast off", you did NOT power it off, you simply started
`powerdown' running with all its defaults, specifically a 5 minute
grace period.  If you want to power the machine down as fast as
possible, log in as `powerdown', or try `shutdown -y -g0 -i0'.

I don't want to start a my-machine-is-better-than-yours war, but I
couldn't let this pass.  We currently have 3 3b2s (a 310 and 2 400s),
and are very satisfied.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with AT&T, I just like some of their
products.
--
Rich Kuhns		{ihnp4, decvax, etc...}!pur-ee!pur-phy!mrstve!rjk