ATT 3b2 firmware password

Paul Czarnecki pac at munsell.UUCP
Fri Sep 26 21:38:55 AEST 1986

I have some friends with an ATT 3b2 that has a firmware password in it.
They'ld like to rebuild thier kernal but they can't because a previous
and long gone engineer changed this firmware password.

The documentation seems lacking (for obvious reasons) about how to
defeat this protection scheme.

(Why don't they call ATT and ask them? Well, you see, they don't quite
actually own the machine.  Soon after they bought it they discovered
that it was a much better space heater or boat anchor than a computer.
They notified ATT that the machine did not satisfy them and to please
come take it away.  Much letters and lawyers later, ATT cancelled the
bill but never picked up the machine.  This was over a year ago.  Now
they actually have a need for it.)

(I knew it wasn't a computer when one day, frustrated beyond belief at
it, I reached around and powered the beast off.  On my screen flashes
the words, "System shutdown in 5 minutes." I sprinkled some holy water,
drew a pentagram around it, and cut the main power switch to the
building.:-)

If anyone knows how to do this please send me mail.  PLEASE DO NOT POST
SUCH AN OBVIOUS SECURITY HOLE NOR WILL I SUMMERIZE TO THE NET.

Thank you.

					pZ

--
  Paul Czarnecki		USENET, too much is never enough.
  Eikonix, Corp.