Arcane modem configuration

Greg Noel greg at ncr-sd.UUCP
Wed Sep 24 11:06:22 AEST 1986

In article <59 at houligan.UUCP> dave at murphy.UUCP (Lerxt) writes:
>(Note to anyone who just joined in: this whole section of the discussion is
>applicable to older devices like DZ11's, which do not have the capability to
>issue an interrupt when a modem control signal changes.)

Curiously enough, the DZ11 is the newer device, not the older.  The DH11 (or
actually, its associated DM11) provided modem control interrupts.  I'm told
that RSX-11 was better at polling than responding to interrupts, so I suspect
that the DZ was designed around its limitations.

>......  I also agree
>that in environments where physical security of the lines is a problem, modem
>control should be used on all lines.  ...........
>The point is that modem control simply isn't apporpriate in some environments.
>Please don't remove the option to disable it.

I think you miss the point.  I'm not saying that the option to ignore modem
control should be eliminated -- far from it.  And it's not just the physical
security of the lines, either.  But when you \can/ use modem control, do it.
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo    Greg at ncr-sd.UUCP or Greg at nosc.ARPA