A new product reduces aggravation of shifting Daylight Savings Time

Andrew Klossner andrew at hammer.UUCP
Fri Sep 12 01:52:53 AEST 1986

[]

		"I do an "ls -l" of a file created last April 15.  Do I
		display its creation time in daylight or standard
		terms?"

	"It doesn't matter. Display the time in the file's stats data
	as is.  Files will still be displayed in the right order."

On the contrary, it matters very much.  If we ignore the daylight
correction factor, all files created during the warmer half of the year
will appear to be one hour older than they truly are.  Even the one
that I made five minutes ago.  This is quite unfriendly.

By the way, if we truly "display the time in the file's stats data as
is," we will be looking at a count of seconds since midnight GMT,
January 1, 1970.  That's even less friendly.  :-)

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix at csnet-relay)  [ARPA]