A new product reduces aggravation of shifting Daylight Savings Time

David Schachter davids at well.UUCP
Wed Sep 10 18:24:12 AEST 1986

In article <6032 at alice.uUCp> ark at alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>This doesn't help.  NBS broadcasts UTC, not local time.

My company's clock can output UTC (essentially Greenwich Mean Time or GMT),
local time, or local time with auto-DST correction.  You tell the clock your
timezone by means of DIP switches or over the serial port.  For applications
requiring more accuracy, you can also encode the distance from the NBS trans-
mitters for propagation delay compensation.  The output can be in 12 hour or
24 hour time and always tells you if daylight savings time is in effect and
if auto-DST correction is enabled.

If there are more comments, it might be wiser to use e-mail or phone, rather
than cluttering the network.  My phone number is (408) 980-8001, from noon
to nine pm, Pacific Time.  (If I don't reply to e-mail, try the phone: I don't
know if I can receive Usenet mail on this system.)

Another person remarked the clock doesn't solve the entire problem.  That is
correct.  It solves part of the problem, telling you when DST starts and stops
and providing an accurate, unattended, NBS-tracable source of time.

It is 0122, Pacific Daylight Time, exactly.  I'm going to bed.