A new product reduces aggravation of shifting Daylight Savings Time

Andrew Klossner andrew at hammer.UUCP
Tue Sep 9 01:01:28 AEST 1986

[]

	"In recent weeks, net.misc and net.unix-wizards have hosted a
	discussion of the hassles caused to system managers by
	Congress's decision to change the start/ stop dates for
	Daylight Savings Time.  My company's product can help.  In
	net.newprod, I'm putting a new product announcement for a clock
	that receives a radio broadcast from the U.S. National Bureau
	of Standards, thus it always has the correct time."

You didn't pay attention to the discussion.  The general problem is to
know at time X whether time Y is daylight or standard time.  Your
product doesn't do this unless X is equal to Y.

An example of the problem that your product cannot solve is: on June
15, I do an "ls -l" of a file created last April 15.  Do I display its
creation time in daylight or standard terms?

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix at csnet-relay)  [ARPA]