4.2 \"soft ecc\" errors

root at LBL-CSAM.arpa root at LBL-CSAM.arpa
Wed Sep 24 09:40:12 AEST 1986

HELP, please!

I am running a VAX 751, with 2.0 MB of TRENDATA memory.  I recently
moved from 4.1 to 4.2 OS.  Ever since, I get the following error
message at about 10 minute intervals:

	mcr0: soft ecc addr xxx syn yy

(xxx and yy are NOT constant)

I also get the following when we boot:

	WARNING: should run interleaved swap with >= 2MB

My questions:

1) How do I "run interleaved"?

2) Is the boot message an indication of why I am getting the other
messages?

3) If I go back to 4.1, I don't see the "ecc" message (or the other
one, for that matter).  Is there really something wrong with my memory
boards?

4) I have discovered that the "ecc" message is (likely) from
/usr/sys/vax/machdep.c and I have found several
	#if TRENDATA
	#endif
lines.  But when I defined TRENDATA as an "optional" in my kernel
configuration file (and reboot), the same error messages continue
to come out.  Am I missing some "bugfix" code for TRENDATA memory
on a 750?  (Looks like most of the TRENDATA mods are for 780 machines.)

5) Besides risking the filling of my disk from /usr/adm/messages, is
there any other danger in ignoring the error messages?

I'd much appreciate any help.  Please reply directly to me at:

	trwspf!expert at lbl-csam
		or
	{decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!trwspf!expert