unix enhancements

Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E mchinni at ARDEC.arpa
Fri Sep 26 01:07:29 AEST 1986

Geoff,
   All I can help with is a suggestion for item 1.

[	1.  Modify CSH so that it checks for the existence of a system wide
[	.cshrc and .login (obviously they could have different names) before
[	reading the users .cshrc and .login.  This would allow the system
[	manager (me) to create a standard environment without having to write
[	each user a .login and .cshrc and still allow the user to modify his
[	or her environment if they choose.

   What I am now doing is to have each users rc file, first execute a system
wide rc file. This lets me do as you mention, which is to create as standard
environment, while still allowing users to change their environment if they
so choose. I am doing this with the Bourne shell. Do to lack of working
knowledge on C shell, I can't say for sure if this will work for it.

	Mike Chinni
	USA AMCCOM ARDEC