Arcane modem configuration (was Re: Modems on Ultrix)

mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Fri Sep 26 13:50:22 AEST 1986

In article <1154 at ncr-sd.UUCP>, greg at ncr-sd.UUCP (Greg Noel) writes:
> I'm puzzled, though -- the RS-232 (et.seq.) protocol is \not/ that
> complicated, but by the number of supposedly knowledgable people that
> get it just flat wrong, there must be something subtle in it that
> causes confusion.

RS232 is not complicated.  BUT, it is usually possible to get by with a
small subset (pins 1, 2, 3, 7, with maybe 2 and 3 crossed), which leads
people to avoid learning more than that small subset.  For example, I
know what the basic difference between DTE and DCE is supposed to be,
but I couldn't tell you the details like which one is supposed to
transmit on pin 2.  I have learned enough about RS232 to make terminal
cables that work, and that's about it.

Also, I don't think I have *ever* seen the RS232 protocol explained.
I expect this is because nobody has needed to bother to go look it up;
the "small subset" above is small enough to be passed on verbally -- so
there are no sheets lying around with the explanation on them.  This
leads to the mystique surrounding anything undocumented.

					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,utzoo,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
ARPAnet: think!mosart!mcgill-vision!mouse at harvard.harvard.edu

	Aren't you glad you don't shave with Occam's Razor?