problem with tip (cu)

Dean Long dlong at sdsu.UUCP
Tue Sep 23 10:06:32 AEST 1986

   I can't get tip (cu) to work.  The problem is that it can't open() the
tty device.  This device is used by uucp with no problems.  I looked at
some of the code for uucp.  I saw that uucp uses /dev/kmem to to "enable"
and "disable" the device before attempting an open.  To me it looked like
it was just setting some bits.  Is this really necessary?  By the way,
when tip tries to open the device, it just waits.  After 10 seconds,
an alarm goes off and tip knows the open() didn't work.  It doesn't return
immediately with a -1 or something.  Also, the protection on the device
is OK.  Any ideas?