Deuna queue backing up?

Craig Partridge craig at loki.bbn.COM
Tue Sep 16 10:10:28 AEST 1986

After over a year's hiatus I suddenly find myself doing 4.2bsd kernel support.
We've just encountered a problem that appears to be in the deuna driver
(we have version 1.3 of 84/03/12 by Lou Salkind).

We are frequently getting ENOBUFS error returns when trying to get out
our Ethernet interface.  However, we still have free mbufs, so the error
code must be when the ifp queue is filled (IF_QFULL on line 704).  The
point is that once we start getting the error, it doesn't seem to go
away (we've seen it last for as long as half an hour before we got fed
up and rebooted).

I suspect a concurrency bug that allows the queue to become permanently filled.
(Our Ethernet sometimes runs near saturation).  But before I go digging, does
this ring a bell  with anyone (is there a more recent version of the driver)?

Craig Partridge
CSNET Technical Staff

craig at csnet-sh or craig at sh.cs.net (CSNET)
craig at loki.bbn.com (ARPA)
{decvax,ihnp4,wjh12}!bbncca!craig (USENET)